Tuesday, July 06, 2010

A Quick Word On... New Shoes (and Birthdays)



I can't get this song out of my head. It's brilliant. It's so simplistic, but it's brilliant. There's something thoroughly endearing about how basic the words are, for those of you struggling with Nutini's accent:

Woke up cold one Tuesday,
I'm looking tired and feeling quite sick,
I felt like there was something missing in my day to day life,
So I quickly opened the wardrobe,
Pulled out some jeans and a T-Shirt that seemed clean,
Topped it off with a pair of old shoes,
That were ripped around the seams,
And I thought these shoes just don't suit me.

Hey, I put some new shoes on,
And suddenly everything is right,
I said, hey, I put some new shoes on and everybody's smiling,
It's so inviting.

Oh, short on money,
But long on time,
Slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine,
I'm running late,
And I don't need an excuse,
'Caus' I'm wearing my brand new shoes.

Honestly, it couldn't be any less groundbreaking a story could it? But that's what's so wonderful about it. It's taught me about the importance of little details ing changing days. Who hasn't had a crappy week, and then suddenly eaten a different cereal, or even had an odd experimental shampoo in the shower, and suddenly sprung into a good mood just from the sheer elegant difference of it? We like to be challenged by something new, and should do it every day if we can.

And with that said, my blog has put some new shoes on, and has had its first facelift since its creation - which is now more than a year ago! Happy Birthday Quick Word! I hope you've enjoyed the first year of my ramblings, and will continue to enjoy them in year two of its infancy. Please let me know what you think of the new layout! Is it better than the old one?

In more sombre news I received my very first rejection letter (or email) the other day, for a short story I had written. The letter itself was lovely and genuine, and it seems the story got very close to publication and only missed out through sheer quantity of quality work submitted. I have been reminded to take heed the stories of Rudyard Kipling and Dr. Seuss, both of which had their work ravaged by rejecting publishers. I regret only that I didn't make it to what is undoubtedly a fine anthology of stories, but no matter, we try again.

Hello new shoes, bye bye blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment