Monday, October 24, 2011

A Quick Word... A Slow Wave Goodbye

I have mixed feelings about what I'm about to do, but sadly it is too late to change my mind even if I want to.  An era is coming to an end here on my blog - three years of a journey that has all been held at lyndonswords.blogspot.com

In 2009 I started this blog as a defiant act of desperation for my writing to be read.  And you guys responded.  Some of the posts here have had views in the thousands, and the site now has more traffic from around the world than I ever dreamed of at its inception.  Only part of this is down to me.  Lots of it is down to you guys sharing links to my work, responding to it on Facebook, and showing it to friends and family.  Word spread, so that now a majority of people who contact me about this stuff are complete strangers.  It's really exciting, and I can't thank you enough for it.

With that in mind then, why leave when things are going so well?  Well, when I first started this blog, Blogger was exactly what I needed.  It was the best on offer, and I should add remains one of the best options for first time bloggers - it's constant growth and change is one of the reasons I stalled in this decision. However, since choosing Blogger many have risen to challenge it, and while I haven't bothered moving, eventually the benefits of a site like Tumblr have become irresistible.  I'm not quitting folks, I'm simply shifting gears a little. Somewhere bigger, before it's too late.

The benefits for me are obvious.  Tumblr has a whole host of features that will make the blog more exciting.  Firstly, it has a deeply ingrained social network which means people who have never seen my writing before will meet it for the first time, and will be able to share it for themselves.  I'll be able to do the same, so expect more short posts with pictures or quotes to break up the larger ones.  The commenting system will also work better, and there is an 'ask me' button at the top of the page which means that I will be able to answer your questions as blog posts, a great chance for you to dictate what I write about next. The site will generally lend itself to greater customisation and experimentation.  I also think it looks nicer.

Where will it be? (This is the bit I'm most excited about!)  http://www.lyndonriggall.com

It's sad to be saying goodbye to Blogger after three years of growth, discussion, friendship and inspiration.  It's exciting to be starting this new chapter.  Thanks so very much to all of you for your kind support, your generous feedback, and for lending me your eyes for a little bit every week or two.

If you are willing, I would love for you to come with me.

Lyndon


No comments:

Post a Comment