Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Quick Word... On How I Lost The Kerouac Challenge

That's right folks, I've been Kerouac-ked. Today I officially lost the Jack Kerouac Challenge. Those who have been keeping up with the event will be familiar with this recent post:

24/8/09 - On Twitter today I was recommended an author by the lovely folk at Ellison Hawker Bookshop called John Fante. I looked him up on Wikipedia, and here's what I found:

'His work and style has influenced similar authors such as Charles Bukowski, who stated in his introduction to Ask The Dust "Fante was my god"and influential Beat Generation writer Jack Kerouac.'

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a hit! Cutting it fine Jack, you've got exactly 7 days from today to whip out a second reference! The game is back on! (My favourite part is that the sentence itself makes absolutely no sense to me. It's like someones doctored Kerouac in. Could this be a haunting? Stay tuned!)

Well, less than 24 hours later, we are sitting in our English tutorial studying Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway, when the question was raised as to whether the stream of consciousness writing should be read like you read the book by that guy in the late '50's. To which my lecturer replied, "Oh Like Jack Kerouac? No, it's completely different."

Oh, Like Jack Kerouac? Oh, Like Jack Kerouac? Oh, Like Jack Kerouac?

Like a trumpet call of disaster, the fanfare of doom. That's right ladies and gentlemen, after nearly a week and a half of no Jack references, Kerouac got me twice in two days. I honestly swear, before this year I'd barely heard of the guy. But there you have it.

My copy of On The Road has been reserved at the library, and Jack Kerouac has won the Kerouac Challenge.

Now all that remains to be seen is if I've been fated to success, or destruction.

We shall see when I begin reading!

Congrats Jack, well played.

No comments:

Post a Comment